The Heckerling Institute on Estate Planning has long been recognized as the nation’s premier conference for estate planning professionals, offering unparalleled educational and professional development opportunities for all members of the estate planning team. Due to COVID, the 55th Institute was delivered virtually rather than in person this year.
Steve Gorin, of Thompson Coburn, has made available summaries of key parts of the Heckerling Programs. As additional reports are released, this post will be updated.
Links to the summaries are as follows:
- Report 1, May 3, 2021: Fundamentally Fun Solutions to Perilous Income Tax Pitfalls in Estate Planning
- Paul S. Lee, Turney P. Berry, Melissa J. Willms
- Report 2, May 3, 2021: Recent Developments 2020/2021
- Steve R. Akers, Samuel A. Donaldson, Sarah Moore Johnson
- Report 3, May 4, 2021:
- Can a CRT Stretch an Inherited IRA?, Christopher R. Hoyt
- Retroactive Revisions and Reversals: Risks and Rewards, Carol A. Harrington
- Report 4, May 4, 2021:
- The Three Faces of Asset Protection, Gideon Rothschild, Melissa Langa, Daniel S. Rubin
- Review of the Past Year’s Significant, Curious, or Downright Fascinating Fiduciary Cases (at least it seems to me), Dana G. Fitzsimons, Jr.
- Report 5, May 4, 2021:
- Strategic Estate Planning for Another Year of Change, Diana S.C. Zeydel, N. Todd Angkatavanich
- Touching the Third Rail: Diversity, Culture and Ethics in Estate Planning, Stacy E. Singer; Margaret G. Lodise, Akane R. Suzuki.
- Report 6, May 5, 2021:
- Can a Trustee “Do Well While Doing Good”? The Law and Economics of ESG Investing, Robert H. Sitkoff
- Beyond the Basics of GST Tax: Queries & Conundrums, Julie Miraglia Kwon
- Report 7, May 5, 2021
- Sacking the Monday Morning Quarterback, Bernard A. Krooks, Robert B. Fleming, Tara Anne Pleat
- Q&A Panel, Steve R. Akers, Samuel A. Donaldson, Sarah Moore Johnson, Carlyn S. McCaffrey
- I Married an Alien – Considerations for Transfers to Non-DNI Citizen Spouses, Along with Hot Topics in International Tax and Estate Planning, Michelle Graham, Michael Rosen-Prinz
- Report 8, May 6, 2021.
- Secure About SECURE: Estate Planning for Retirement Benefits in the Post-SECURE World, Natalie B. Choate
- Wrap-Up: We Saw. We Heard. We Read. We Learned, Turney P. Berry, Charles A. “Clary” Redd
- Fundamentals Program: Demystifying Distributable Net Income (DNI). Jeremiah W. Doyle, IV
- Report 9.
- Mum’s the Word: Maintaining Client Confidentiality and Dealing with Ethical Challenges While Working from Anywhere and Everywhere, John F. Bergner, Jeff Chadwick, Lauren J. Wolven
- Report 10. Sponsors Report
Posted by Lewis J. Saret, Co-General Editor, Wealth Strategies Journal.