Taxpayer Advocate Service: TAS Tax Tip: Need help resolving a tax amount owed or finding the right payment option? (April 19, 2022)

The Taxpayer Advocate Service has published an article, “TAS Tax Tip: Need help resolving a tax amount owed or finding the right payment option?”. The article begins as follows:

Got a tax bill for your federal tax return? We have resources to help you resolve it.
Is the amount due on the tax bill accurate?
If yes, see our group of payment options under our Paying Taxes Get Help pages. Start with the I Can’t Pay My Taxes Here you can see information about and steps to follow if you:Can pay the full amount now or can pay it within 120 days
Need to make monthly payments
Want to apply for an Offer in Compromise that may allow you to pay less than the full amount you owe
Can’t make any sort of payment now
You can also visit IRS’s Payments page for payment options or see this Tax Time Guide: Electronic tax payment and agreement options available to taxpayers who owe.
If the amount owed is only due to penalties and interest, see our TAS Tax Tips: Why Do I Owe a Penalty and Interest and What Can I Do About It? for steps to follow.
If you have a balance due, don’t delay in trying to resolve it. Sometimes, the timing of your actions is very important and you don’t want to miss a deadline and lose certain taxpayer rights.
If no, see our I Need Help Resolving My Balance Due Get Help page.
This Get Help page can guide you through the steps to take if:
Someone has stolen your identity
Your IRS account doesn’t show all payments you made to the IRS
You need to make a change to a tax return you’ve already filed
You filed a tax return with your spouse and all or part of your refund was applied to a debt only your spouse owes
You owe tax because your spouse didn’t report deductions or didn’t include income on your joint tax return
The person who prepared your tax return changed your tax return information without your permission
If the IRS sent you a notice about something being incorrect on your 2021 return, see our TAS Tax Tip: What if I receive an IRS notice that says something is wrong with my 2021 tax return? or our Issues & Errors Get Help topic pages. Also check the IRS’s Help for taxpayers and tax professionals: Special filing season alerts page for special alerts related to current year tax return processing issues.
For more updates from the Taxpayer Advocate Service, visit the news and information center to read the latest tax tips, blogs, alerts, and more.

To view the full article, click: “TAS Tax Tip: Need help resolving a tax amount owed or finding the right payment option?”

Posted by Mallory Wentz, Associate Editor, Wealth Strategies Journal.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s